You can set up approved events in your organization's eSPACE events to automatically sync to your personal Google, Outlook or Apple Calendar so others can view them (especially if that one Google, Outlook, or Apple calendar is shared with multiple people). This is great for people who do not have an eSPACE account so they can see the events, similarly to how they would if they looked at the calendar on your website. However, this option also gives you the ability to share public AND private events with those viewing the calendar.
- This export is made possible by an iCal integration with a .ics file extension.
Setting Up Your Events to Export
- First, go to the left side bar of your dashboard and click on Events > Event Actions > Export Events.
- If you are not using the condensed navigation mode, go to the left sidebar of your dashboard and select Events > Export Events to begin the process.
- When exporting events, you will see up to approximately 3 years worth of event data at a time!
- The Outlook and Apple integrations sync about every 15 min.
- We sync with Google; however, we have no control when they sync. The feed could be delayed by as much as 8 hours depending on the calendar you use.
- Integrating with Google Calendar through our API integration syncs every 15 min, but does not include space information on the events: Google Calendar API Integration
- Next, a new window will open where you setup your exporting parameters:
You can filter by:
- Public/Private Events
- Approval Area(s)
You also have the ability to:
- Hide the Event Details URL
- Exclude any Calendar Labels associated with an event
Subscribing Via/Exporting to Google
- Once you have all your parameters set, select the "Copy URL" button.
- Then, go to your Google Calendar, and click the arrow on “Other Calendars”, then “Add by URL”
- Paste the URL into the box, and choose if you want to make it publicly accessible.
- Click “Add Calendar” button.
- Calendar will then show up in Google
- The calendar will update periodically through the day with any new events added in eSPACE.
- Example of an onsite/on campus event with an Event Description:
- Example of a virtual event:
- Clicking on the link allows the person to see this.
Subscribing via/ Exporting to Outlook
- Copy the URL as described in step 2 above.
- To insert a web-calendar in your personal Outlook you need to right click “Other Calendars”, then choose “From Internet…”
- Paste the URL of your calendar and click OK
It will then contact the web server and bring in the calendar and ask if you want to subscribe:
- Choose “Yes”
It will then bring in the approved events from your organization's eSPACE account to your personal Outlook calendar (based on the filters you set before copying the URL from your eSPACE account).
- You will now see it under the Calendar list on the left. You can right click and choose “rename” to give it any name you like. You can check/un-check at any time to show/hide the calendar.
- To delete the calendar, just right click and “Delete Calendar”
The calendar will update periodically through the day with any new events added in eSPACE.
- There is an Event Details link included for every exported event. So now, when you look at an event in your calendar, you will see the following:
When you click on this, you will see the full details of the event including:
- Setup Information
- Forms & Answers
- Document Links
Subscribing via/Exporting to Apple
- In Apple Calendar on a Mac, you can use the “New Calendar Subscription…” option under the File menu as shown below. If you have your calendar syncing with your iCloud account, subscriptions set up on your Mac should also sync to your iPhone.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We sync with Google; however, we have no control when they sync. The feed could be delayed by as much as 8 hours depending on the calendar you use.