*This integration is separate from the integrations with a Niagara or Honeywell JACE. Please read our Knowledge Base article “COOLSPACE: JACE Integration Overview ” for more.*
For over 10 years we have been successfully integrating schedules from events in eSPACE with automated building control systems that speak BACnet. This integration is made possible by our partnership with North Building Technologies who worked with us to modify their ObSys software to pull the schedules from eSPACE, convert them into BACnet discoverable points so that the units on the BACnet system can be programmed to pull those schedules in.
Before you add COOLSPACE to your eSPACE subscription, it’s important to meet with sales and confirm that your specific HVAC building control system is compatible.
- You will also need to sign an integrations agreement
- Payment for the North ObSys dongle & license is required before moving forward
- It’s also highly recommended that you and your controls contractor meet with our integration specialists to understand the full integration setup and answer any questions that you or your contractor may have
Total Integration Cost
It’s also important to understand the additional cost that is specific to this integration, which sales will go over in their meeting with you.
- COOLSPACE subscription cost
- One time set up fee for configuring your account for a BACnet integration
- Cost of the driver
- Other possible costs could include programming by your controls contractor
Programming the Integration
Once you have confirmed that your system is compatible and you understand the full cost that is involved, you will be ready to set up the integration. Below are the 3 main steps of setting up the integration.
- Here is an example of the format for the Excel spreadsheet in order to upload the list of HVAC unit names and spaces. Column A’s header must be “Space and column B’s header must be “Name”.
North ObSys Programming Instructions
If needed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get a copy of the full programming instructions for the North ObSys software.
The COOLSPACE integration for systems that speak BACnet is intended to be a way for HVAC units to get automatically scheduled based on fully approved events in Event Scheduler. Whether you are also integrating eSPACE with another ChMS or using eSPACE- Event Scheduler as your ChMS, once the events are approved, then our eSPACE- FACILITeSPACE module will make those schedules available in an ICS feed for the North ObSys software to pull in, convert into BACnet discoverable points, and be available for the units on the BACnet system to pull in from the North ObSys software.
In our FACILITeSPACE module, you have the ability to create custom ramp times for each unit so that the spaces reach occupied setpoints before the event setup time.
In order for the right HVAC units to be scheduled automatically by the events, all the names of the HVAC units need to be uploaded into the customer’s FACILITeSPACE account and assigned the correct corresponding spaces. See step 1 of Programming the Integration above for more.
There are no limits to how you can assign spaces and HVAC units, whether you need to assign multiple spaces to the same unit or assign multiple units to the same space.
HVAC Schedule Calculation
Because of the way that eSPACE is designed to calculate the schedules specifically for the HVAC units, all events either in your ChMS system that is integrated with eSPACE- Event Scheduler OR the events that customers enter into eSPACE- Event Scheduler should be fully approved at least 15 min before the calculated start time.
There are 3 basic steps that are important to know if you ever need to confirm that the integration is working.
- Confirm that the events are in the ICS feed from eSPACE
- To do so, in your Event Schedule account, navigate to Settings > Advanced > General > API Settings > Data Feed.
- Confirm that the schedules are in the North ObSys software.
- To do so, follow the instructions in the North Integration document.
- Confirm that the “on and off” BACnet points are in the unit’s Special Events schedule section for each unit on the BACnet system.
- Contact your BACnet system programmer for assistance.
Schedule Appearance in BACnet
Please keep in mind that the “schedules” for events in your BACnet system will appear differently than “schedules” in a JACE (Niagara or Honeywell). See the visual below for comparison.